Thursday, October 4, 2007

Well... Here we go.

I sit before you having just sent in my application to nursing school two weeks ago. I started school in January and finished the six pre-req's (a couple organic chemistries, anatomy, psych etcetera) at the end of the summer. I'm in the middle of physiology, microbiology and cultural anthropology right now. There. You're up to speed.

My brush with the fates this week...

For some reason, I decided to leave for class early the other day. I figured I would get to campus and study in the library before Micro. It seems to be the case that the fates did not want my morning to start out in this organized fashion. On the way, I saw a younger kid stopped at an intersection, standing over someone in the street. After pulling over to make sure everything was alright, I learned that it wasn't.

The kid (around 20) had just hit a man (around 70) with his SUV and didn't have a cell phone. I called 911 and tried to help as much as I could. The man was completely unresponsive and his eyes were swelling quickly. As I was sitting there watching him and holding him so he wouldn't move while calming the kid down and waiting for the EMT's to get there, I couldn't help but feel frustrated with my current lack of knowledge. I have my CPR certification, but beside that, I was powerless to do anything. I knew enough to know that he was in bad shape and had a severe head trauma based on the pattern of swelling in his orbital region, but that's about where it ended. I stayed until the ambulance came, made sure the kid was alright before he talked to the police and went on my way.

I truly think that the situations that are put in front of us are blocks in a big game of hopscotch. If you actually land on the square, deal with it and extract what you can, you can come out of it more focused and ready to hop hop hop along to the next one. This one reinvigorated my thirst for knowledge and desire to make a difference. I guess I needed it. Still, I can't wait until the day when I can put it all to good use.

No comments: