Sunday, October 14, 2007

Occupational Research


Although I'm not in the nursing program yet, I have had some conversations with nursing students and have found that there are some categories of information that are missing in a bachelor's program. The one I'm tackling now is specializations.

We all seem to have our nursing compasses pointed somewhere before we even start school. This is great, it's based on our self assessments and interests at that time. I have been spending my first year trying to figuring out the finer points of some specialties so I can have a better idea of where I want to be. Personally, I have an interest in Critical Care/ED but hey, I haven't even started clinicals, so who knows what will draw me in once I get started. I do know that I thrive in a stressful environment (I learned that when I was teaching autistic/behavior disordered kids) and I want a higher level of autonomy and critical thinking, something I hear men in nursing tend to value most. (Not saying that women don't)

At any rate, There are websites out there that have some good information on them as well as links to articles and association websites. Two that I have stumbled across in my early Sunday morning travels is Discoverynursing.com and Allnurses's Nursing Specialty page. It is interesting learning about the day to day and required skill set and it's helping me understand what I need to either possess intrinsically or learn along the way.

No comments: